Church and Community Internship Program
Sponsored by CMC and Everence
Note: Download the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader here to interactively fill out and email forms.
Emerge is a one year, non-traditional, part-time (10 hours per week) CMC church and community internship program designed to equip men and women lay leaders for ministries in the local church and community. Emerge consists of weekend retreats, practical ministry, directed reading, and face-to-face meetings with a mentor. The program will follow a college schedule, with one term in the fall and one in the spring, and a weekend retreat preceding each term. After successful completion of year one, interns may request an additional year or two, likely under a revised format.
- Intern/Mentor Selection. At the beginning of the program and in consultation with the local pastor, interns and mentors are paired. See Emerge Mentor Selection. To understand their role in the program and to find an application, mentors can read and fill out the Emerge Mentor Invitation and Commitment Form. Interns can follow the application process below.
- Internship Design. Emerge is designed to fit the unique needs of each intern by helping the intern assess strengths and weaknesses. A program of directed study in spiritual formation, character development, personal management, spiritual gifts, and practical ministry will enable the intern to maximize their kingdom potential. During the fall retreat, the intern and mentor will complete an Emerge Learning Covenant. The Emerge Timeline Checklist gives an overview of the entire program.
- Retreats. To facilitate connectedness among interns, a fall and winter retreat will be conducted each year, with intern attendance required at both retreats. Retreats will include classroom study, testimonials, social activities, and informal fellowship. Retreats will begin on Friday morning and conclude Sunday late morning. The fall retreat will be held at Rosedale Bible College (August 22-25, 2019) and the winter retreat at Rosedale International Center (January 30-February 2, 2020), both in central Ohio. Mentors are required to attend the fall retreat to receive specialized mentor training and also for purposes of relationship building with their intern but not the winter retreat. Interns are encouraged to keep in touch with each other outside the retreats.
- Practical Ministry. (4 hours per week) Practical ministry could include assignments within the church such as worship leading, Christian education, youth ministry, evangelism, pastor training, small group leadership, and discipleship. Assignments may also include involvement in the community such as pregnancy care centers, public and private schools, immigration centers, and anti-human trafficking centers. The practical ministry component is normally under the supervision of the mentor, but ministry assignments in the community or otherwise outside the mentor’s expertise may require supervision by others.
- Directed Reading. (5 hours per week) Mentors will assign readings and interns will write responses to assigned readings. These completed reading responses will help guide discussion in the bi-weekly meetings with the mentor.
- Mentor Meetings. (1.5 hours bi-weekly) Mentors will meet with their intern(s) for 90-minute sessions every other week on a mutually agreed upon schedule. Meetings will consist of follow-up on directed readings, spiritual formation, character development, personal management, spiritual gifts, and practical ministry (see Emerge Schedule of Suggested Assignments). An Emerge Mentoring Handbook will help guide the mentoring relationship and a Recommended Emerge Study Resources (annotated bibliography) lists recommended books, articles, videos, and podcasts for the bi-weekly assignments.
- Applicants will complete an application.
- Applicants will provide two references: pastor/elder and teacher/employer.
- The application deadline is August 15, 2019.
A fall retreat will held August 23-25, 2019, at Rosedale Bible College.
A winter retreat will held on January 30-February 2, 2020, at Rosedale International Center.
Program fee is $100 per year per team of two—one mentor and one intern. Costs are kept low because of three factors:
- Everence Financial is covering all retreat expenses including lodging, food, meeting space, and speakers.
- Mentors are donating their time.
- CMC is donating staff time to design and publicize the program, process applications, assist with mentor recruitment and orientation, coordinate the retreats, and orient/supervise the mentors.
List of links to documents listed in the above article:
- Emerge Intern Application
- Emerge Reference Form
- Emerge Mentor Invitation and Commitment Form
- Emerge Mentor Selection
- Emerge Learning Covenant
- Emerge Timeline Checklist
- Emerge Schedule of Suggested Assignments
- Emerge Reading Response
- Recommended Emerge Study Resources
RETREAT SCHEDULES (PDF)
Emerge Fall 2019 Retreat Schedule – Rosedale Bible College – Irwin, OH
Emerge Winter 2020 Retreat Schedule (TBD) – Rosedale International Center – Columbus, OH
2019-20 School Year
Fall Emerge Retreat
- Sessions 1-6 by Jon Showalter
- Introduction and Method
- Revelation – Nature and Inspiration, Inerrancy
- God – Immanence and Transcendence – Personality, Attributes; God – Moral Qualities, Trinity, Creation, Providence
- Humanity – Creation – Image of God, Human Constitution
- Christ – Person – Incarnation – Work – Atonement
- Sessions 1-6 by Jon Showalter
2018-19 School Year